Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What my classmates think of our Legal System

The three classmates I choose were Stephanie Ortiz, Raymond George Price, and Gustavo Ibarra. They all have very interesting and different thoughts as to how they feel about our legal system. As a receptionist for a lawyer Stephanie got to see things we’ve only hear about in movies. “I did work as a receptionist for a lawyer for a couple of months. I did like the fact that they get to help people and give people hope. One thing I have always wondered though how someone can defend a murderer or a child molester. How can anyone with the right morals be able to say that a person is not guilty, when they know damn well that they are. I personally, would not be able to do it.”-Stephanie O. I definitely agree with her because I do strongly believe that there is a lack of morals in that business. Personally I wouldn’t be able to live with myself either if I let a child molester run free. It’s only a matter of time until karma catches up to you and when it does it won’t be pretty. I was surprised on Raymond’s take on the legal system, I understand where he’s coming from and I never thought to look at it that way. He quotes, “No one person can possibly know the entire body of law.”(Essentials of Business Law, Liuzzo,Pg3) and he adds, “This quote basically rules out one body of government by saying that they can’t do everything alone. The different branches of government are there to help each other out, because it would be impossible for one branch to pass a law, enforce it, and determine if something is in violation of that law. So with that said, the legal system in which the United States has created is one of the best in the world. But like any other system, there are ways to defeat it and there are loop-holes.” I agree with him until he says “Our Legal System is the BEST in the WORLD."-Raymond Price. If our legal system was truly the “best in the world” there wouldn’t be so much injustice in our world. Last but not least is Gustavo Ibarra who like Raymond also surprised me. He wrote “I feel that the Legal system is a savior when it is not corrupted or altered. I feel that this is the only rational way to decide on another individual’s wrong doing. The process of it is also correct, even though it does take a long time for the decision to even be made. Of course there are many that think that the legal system is a joke and feels that it needs to be changed. I feel that it is not that the legal system needs to be changed but of practice of lawyers and government officials. I feel that a lot abuse makes the legal system not work correctly.”-Gustavo Ibarra. I can honestly say I totally agree with everything he says because I truly believe the system we’ve came up with isn’t that bad but what’s coming out of it now that’s the problem. It does seem to be all about the money and less about what’s right. It was great bearing in mind the law in the eyes of others and knowing most of us agree in one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment